We aren’t all born with wide, beautiful, and big eyes. Thankfully there are some makeup tips that can help widen out peepers, that will, in turn, make us look more youthful, healthier and wide awake. I have smaller eyes and have struggled with this most of my life.
Makeup trends come and go and I have always tried to find ways to make my eyes pop to look larger than they really are. I read questions all the time from readers wondering if they should line the top and bottom of their eyes.
This really is your own preference, we get used to applying our eye makeup one certain way and it more than likely has stuck since we were in our teens. I’m guilty of this most days. What I have learned when in makeup artistry school that there are more ways we can use makeup to benefit us in more ways.
One is the eyes! Most days I want a simple everyday look with minimal makeup applied. Date nights and big events I love the smokey eye look and I can create a more dominant look with heavier eyeliner. Let’s look at the everyday look since this is the one we will be using mostly.
9 Tips to Make Your Eyes Appear Bigger
1. Define your brows. This brings attention to and frames up the entire eye area. People will perceive your eyes as bigger when more focus is put on the area surrounding them.
2. Add dimension to your crease. A matte, warm brown or even a soft rose color will help to create some dimension and make your eye pop. I use Tarte cosmetic Tartelette Tease Clay Palette, first kiss (mauve shimmer) shade with a bit of heartbreaker (brown matte shade) on the outer three-fourths.
3. Add shimmer at the inner corner of the eye. Placing shimmer here catches the light – giving the appearance of more open, awake eyes. I will use the same Tarte palette in the whisper, a light pink shade.
4. Use light, neutral colors on the lid. Dark colors recede, light colors bring objects forward. Placing a light color on the lid gives a larger appearance to the eye area.
5. Line the inner rim of the lower lid with a flesh-toned pencil. This creates the illusion that the whites of your eyes extend farther. You can use a white eyeliner pencil for this as well, but the flesh tone looks more natural. See the white eyeliners below in the carousel.
6. Apply mascara to lower lashes. Skip liner on the lower lash line, which closes the eye in. Mascara is the perfect way to enhance the lower part of the eye without overdoing it.
7. Curl your eyelashes. This is one of the fastest ways to open the figurative shutters on your eyes. Flipping your lashes upwards lets others see the whole eye area more clearly.
8. Apply mascara to top lashes. This is kind of a no-brainer, but definitely apply mascara after curling your lashes to define the top lashes.
9. Apply False Eyelashes or nStart Using a Lash Growth Serum. You don’t have to go crazy, but a strip of natural false lashes will bring your eyes out easily. If you have a hooded eye, this is especially effective as it brings your eye out from under the brow bone visually. If false eyelashes are not for you, then do what I did. I started using the Lash Boost form R+F and my eyelashes have gotten longer and fuller! I have not been able to curl my eyelashes since I was 38. Girls, I’m curling them babies now! In fact, today I kept noticing something below my eyes today…yes- girls they were my bottom lashes!!!
Tips and Tricks:
- To maximize your lid space, try going liner-free. It’s certainly not a necessity, especially if you enhance your lashes with mascara and false lashes. One of the ways I noticed my eyes appearing smaller is with over-excessive liner.
- When in doubt, choose lighter shadow colors for a more open feel.
- Eyedrops can work wonders if you have allergies or persistent redness. When the whites of your eyes are bright, your skin appears more tan too!
DON’T MISS A POST!
Subscribe to get email updates! In addition to my most recent blog posts, you’ll receive exclusive newsletter content like special sales, my newest favorite finds, and an occasional peek behind the scenes — all delivered right to your inbox.
This post contains affiliate links. When you shop through my links, it helps support my business (at no additional cost to you) so thank you!