We’ve all seen the tutorials, so we know that makeup has the power to transform. The question is, can it transform you into a younger version of yourself? Yep, it sure can, with the right tools and tips. Even if you’re a beginner with no makeup expertise at all, there are a few things you can do to effortlessly wind back the clock. Let’s look at a few!
- Skip the Powder – do you guys remember the “pancake” powder our moms used when we were small? Throw that away!! If you do use powder to set your makeup, go for a translucent powder and use a brush to apply it. Then use a setting spray, this helps in many different ways. It sets your makeup, you won’t have powder lines in fine lines, so you will look younger! As we get older, powder starts looking dry, ashy, and dusty on our skin, which visually ages us. What we really want is a youthful glow. Many finer lines can be reduced or eliminated with extra hydration. So drink up ladies!
2. Use Translucent Powder on Your Lashes – So we’re going to ditch the powder that’s been aging our skin. But don’t throw it away just yet. You can use a loose powder to coat and prime your lashes before applying mascara. If you have pressed powder, just loosen it up with a clean mascara wand. Use the wand to dust the powder onto your lashes. Apply two coats of mascara, wiggling the wand in at the root. From there, sweep up and inward toward your nose. Use a clean brush to sweep away any excess powder that fell out of bounds. Boom – your lashes are longer and thicker looking!
3. Baby Oil Makeup Remover – Eyelash loss and thinning is a side effects of getting a little older (I talked about this in my post-Mascara and Lashes). It’s totally normal, but one thing you can do to slow this down is to remove every single trace of mascara every single night. From there, you want to keep the lashes you do have conditioned. To make sure you never have an excuse not to do this, have some baby oil on hand in addition to your regular remover.
It’s gentle enough for babies, true, but you still don’t want to get the oil directly in your eye. Drip a few drops on a cotton round. With your eye closed, swipe the cotton round gently back and forth. Apply one more drop to the other side of the round and repeat to clean up any smears. All clean and moisturized!!
4. Tinted Moisturizer – Just because you’re older now doesn’t mean you need to cake foundation on your face – there’s nothing to hide! Fresh, even, moisturized skin is more youthful-looking skin. Take a dollop of your favorite moisturizer and mix it with your foundation. It’s the perfect “no makeup” makeup look. Or if you are looking for some color that protects with 30 SPF and something that will work on perfecting your skin during the day, try BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Cream, it’s worth the hype!
5. Lipstick Cream Blush – If you want to avoid dry formulas that stick in crevices and emphasize wrinkles, you go with cream formulas. Some cream blushes are much longer lasting than powders, anyway, one of my faves is BOOM! by Cindy Joseph. The trick here is that you don’t always need to go out and buy a new product.
Experiment with using a peach, pink, or red lipstick as blush. You should only need a dot or two, especially if the lipstick is rather bright. Start by placing it further away from your nose than you would powder blush. Blend well with your fingers, and finish it off with a little brush blending. Easy peasy!
6. Concealer Lip Contour Trick – Any lines, hollowness, or sagging around your mouth casts subtle shadows. Conceal the area around them to cancel out any discoloration. This makes your lips stand out a little more. It can also be done after applying lipstick to clean up any little mistakes. One of my favorite concealers is by Dermablend, see it here.
Want lips to look a little more voluminous? A little concealer or highlighter can help there, too. After setting/blotting lipstick, make two to four very tiny dots in the center of your mouth with the concealer or highlighter. Use a clean, stiff brush to pat until blended. This will add more dimension to deflated lips. Who knew, right??
7. Foundation Over 50? Choose Yellow Undertones – Like other things in life, foundation selection gets easier with age. Instead of wondering if you’re pink or neutral, go with a slightly yellow undertone. It’s not a universal tip, but many women look best with a warmer shade as they mature. The hint of gold adds a little bit of warmth that is more commonly associated with youth. NYX Professional Can’t Stop Won’t Stop is a great choice.
Ladies, you have a great day! Hope these quick tips help you out a little, the makeup world is so confusing at times. A little help, tips, and tricks are just what we need. Stay safe and be blessed! XOXO
My Favorite Over 40 Beauty Items
Hey girl! Stop scrolling! Follow along with the girls!
Have you signed up for my daily blog post? Don’t miss the latest outfits or beauty finds, so be sure to Subscribe and get the latest post. I post 3-5 times a week and will send you all the latest finds, the most popular, and more in emails.
POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS IF YOU CLICK ON AND PURCHASE AN ITEM, I MAY RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION. THIS IS AT NO COST TO YOU. ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT THAT MEANS, SEE MY ABOUT PAGE: BLOG COMPENSATION AND DISCLOSURE
“She is clothed in strength and dignity and she laughs without fear of the future…”