Good morning everyone! I hope your week has started out great and your day will be fabulous! Sorry I missed your girls yesterday on the blog, it has been a little crazy since last week. I was sick, Brooklyn came this past weekend, Father’s Day celebrations and so on and so on. Life got a little crazy and busy and I missed a day on the blog.
Monday, Barry and I started out our day on a walk at the park and by noon, I had a migraine the size of Texas! For some reason, I am very sensitive to changes in the pressure system and if a rainstorm is coming – I’m going to end up with a pressure headache. I have been battling this migraine for a
Sunday night I started adding things to my cart that I didn’t want to shop for, I do not like getting the “big” items, so I started adding drinks, paper towels, dog food, those kinds of things. I soon started adding cereal, condiments, baking items, and before long I had a cart full.
How it works: In
You start adding the products that you wish to purchase. If there are any products you need that Walmart does not have, they will ship it to you in 2 days. We use NutPods (Hazelnut) in our coffee each morning and they don’t have this item at our local Walmart, so they shipped it to me. If you are looking for a creamer that is fat-free, sugar-free and still has a great taste – then you might want to give NutPods a try, especially if you are doing the FASTer Way To Fat Loss. I have to have my coffee in the morning and this gave it a great taste, plus I added a little liquid sweetener that makes it taste like I just got a coffee from Starbucks! (Full disclosure – I could not taste the vanilla in the French Vanilla, so stay clear of that one)
Once I completed my order online Monday morning, I added Barry as the pickup person and gave his phone number to receive the text when it is ready for pickup. He was out running errands and got the text that our order was ready (it only took about an hour before it was ready) and headed over to Walmart. He wasn’t sure what to do once he got there, so he walked up to the pickup area. Our pick up area looks like a bunch of lockers and one HUGE cylinder with a computer. He typed in his name, it asked to scan his text message and he said he heard a click.
One of the lockers unlocked automatically, so he went and got the groceries from there, scanned his phone again, the second locker opened up and then a third. He got his groceries and walked out the front door. Our store does not offer “grocery pickup” as in frozen food, etc. at this time, so no one was bringing our groceries out like you see on TV.
None the less, we loved it! I loved it because now I can look up the items I need and have Barry pick them up! I sound so lazy writing that HAHA! Normally, Barry and I go to Walmart together and we end up spending $200 – $300 in groceries and half of the stuff we really don’t need. Now I have started a new shopping cart with items that I am adding as I run out. When I am ready to pick up I will check out and wait for the email and text. Oh, I got an email letting me know everything was ready, but Barry got the text. I set it up like that so we both knew what was going on. We tend to a lot of errands together, have you noticed that? LOL!
How It Works – Step By Step for Grocery Pickup
- Go to grocery.walmart.com and sign into your existing Walmart account or create a new one. Enter your zip code and make sure Walmart Grocery Pickup service is available in your area. It’s available now in many major markets and expanding to new markets all the time. You may not be offered grocery, but dry foods can be picked up along with other items in the store. They have a list of all kind of items and departments.
- Select your items. Search for items by name, or shop by department using the drop down menu. During holidays they add special “departments” which means you can fill your Easter baskets or Halloween candy bowl without walking into the store. After your first order, you can go back and select items from your “favorites”. So, if you buy one gallon of 1% milk, a carton of eggs, and a loaf of your favorite bread every week, you don’t have search for those items individually each time. You can just look through your favorites list and quickly add them. Before you check out make sure you have at least $30 worth of items on your order – $30 is the minimum order amount.
- Reserve a Pickup time and date and double check that you’ve selected the correct Walmart location (Ever order something for in-store pick up from the wrong town? No one? Uh, yeah, me neither…haha) Some locations have same day pickup but I don’t think it’s available in all markets. I live in a smaller metro area but if you live in a large one they most likely have it. You can generally order 12 hours in advance at the earliest. Pickup times are in 1-hour intervals. For example, you can choose 9am-10am, meaning you have to arrive any time between 9 and 10 am. Enter your debit or credit card info (you can’t pay with cash on pickup.) If you forget to add an item to your order, you can add additional items until a few hours before your pick up time.
- Optional: download the Walmart Grocery app. This app is different than the main Walmart app. You can use it to place orders just like online and check in when you’re on your way to pick up an order.
- When it’s your appointment time, drive to your Walmart and follow the signs that guide you to the pickup area. Pull into a Pickup parking spot and if you haven’t checked in on the app yet, call the number on the sign and tell them your name.
- A nice Walmart Grocery Pickup worker will come out with your groceries. They’ll come up to your window, confirm that they have the right person, and if there are any substitutions they’ll let you know and confirm that they’re OK with you. What are substitutions? Sometimes when you go to pick up your order, the store is out of the exact item you wanted. In this situation, Walmart always substitutes (aka upgrades) your product but does not charge you extra. For example, if you ordered half a gallon of milk and they’re out, you get a whole gallon at the same price. Or if you order a case of store brand soda and they don’t have it, they’ll give you the name brand equivalent. Nice little perk huh?
- Next, they’ll put the groceries in the car (just pop the trunk), ask for your digital signature, and you’re on your way! If it’s your first time using the service you’ll get a little goodie bag with samples. I have heard other friends say they got a few granola bars, a can of soup, lotion samples, and a few other things.
- Not long after you leave you’ll get an email with a receipt for your order and the process is done! Simple and easy!
Let’s be real: the biggest reason I shop at Walmart is to save money, and one downside of using Walmart Grocery Pickup is that you can’t use coupons. You also cannot use EBT or WIC and because you don’t leave with a paper receipt you can’t use Ibotta or other similar savings apps. Even though I can’t use coupons, I feel that I would consistently spend less on groceries using the pickup service than when I shop inside the store. I save money in a few ways:
- Even though you’re ordering online, you still get the same low prices and Rollback deals that you would get when shopping in-store. Plus there is no charge for the Pickup service so you’re not paying any extra fees.
- Comparing price per pound, ounce, etc. is easier than in the store. Walmart does the math for you! Normally, I watch Barry do this as I’m patiently waiting for him to out the “store brand” in the cart. LOL!
- But the #1 way you can save money using Pickup service is the simplest way: it’s impossible to buy anything that’s not on your list! When I go into Walmart I know I’ll be tempted by sale items and yummy looking treats and anything else that is eye
What’s your thoughts on pickup? Have you tried it, do you like it?
Thanks for stopping by the blog today and as always, have a great day!!
Be sure to Pin anything you like to Pinterest, as this helps me grow as a new blogger. I appreciate your Pins, comments and coming by the blog!
DON’T MISS A POST!
Subscribe to get email updates! In addition to my most recent blog posts, you’ll receive an exclusive newsletter, and a sneak peek behind the scenes with family pictures, etc. — all delivered right to your inbox.
POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT THAT MEANS, SEE MY ABOUT PAGE: BLOG COMPENSATION AND DISCLOSURE.